Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mission Accomplished! – Well, Nearly

I am quite overwhelmed! I don’t mean like where I am too stressed out, I mean there is just so much to absorb right now…it’s hard to take it all in! This weekend was fantastic! Laura and I spent Saturday in Auckland city doing some final Christmas shopping after we finally got there due to train problems (epic adventure). Then on Sunday we took a ferry over to Waiheke Island, a tropical, beachy, surf-type island located north east of Auckland city. We rented scooters for the day and zipped around the mountainous terrain, enjoying some shopping, some sunny beach time, some wine tasting at one of Waiheke’s many vineyards, and simply enjoying the beautiful scenery.

Yesterday was spent watching the school talent show and making sure our concert item was set. Our students are also working on independent group inquiry projects where they are doing research and experiments on an “I Wonder” type question. They are to incorporate reading, writing, art, and other various subject areas in their projects.

Today was the infamous Swanson Christmas Show. My students successfully performed our item to a stellar degree, I was so proud of them! We got it on video tape so I will share that with everyone when I return. Laura and I additionally performed in the traditional staff item where we sang and danced to “Rockin Around The Christmas Tree” which students and parents alike had a good laugh at…good times! It was a relief to be done with our class item though…now we can breathe a little easier without having to practice that anymore! It was worth the time and effort though, we got so many good comments from students, staff, and parents!

The rest of the week will be fairly easy, we are just tying up loose ends for the school year. I can’t believe I will already be home in about a week and a half. I am not ready to leave New Zealand at all yet, but I am getting excited to come home and see everyone for Christmas.

So, as for that Christmas concert, it was a success and is now behind us….a mission well accomplished! But, the school term is still in progress. We are not finished here yet, but we are nearing the end…it is certainly a bittersweet feeling overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment