Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I’ve Found The End Of The Rainbow

That’s right everyone, I have found the end of the rainbow. It’s right here in New Zealand! Figuratively speaking of course ☺. So just go with me on this attempt to use a metaphor… If we consider my student teaching journey as a quest for that end of the rainbow, then the “pot of gold”, so to speak, would be me growing in my confidence and independence as an educator to the point where I would finally feel comfortable having my own classroom. Still with me? In simple terms, I feel like over the past few months, I have changed so much. Over the course of my two placements thus far, I have gone from being kind of nervous and unsure as to how everything comes together as a classroom teacher and also about simply conducting whole day of school with my students, to where I feel far more confident and able to go onward in my profession. I think I simply needed to be thrown in head first to fully learn to swim. Ok enough metaphors I promise. But I guess I’m saying that before student teaching, I just didn’t feel ready to be a teacher yet, I felt like there was still far too much that I needed to learn. And I was right. I did need to learn a lot and I still do. I will continue learning throughout my whole career. But what I needed to learn most is about myself and my own strengths as a teacher simply through the experience of being in full control of a classroom. Most importantly, I have learned it as not as scary as it one seemed. In fact I love it more and more each day. I am very much looking forward to having my own classroom someday.

Ah well, enough deep stuff for now, I just felt like putting that out there…☺ Rotorua this weekend was a blast! We went on the gondola, tried out some luge-ing and took the ride of our lives on the Sky Swing (craziness!) which you must watch a video of to fully comprehend. Then Laura and I went to Maori Hangi Dinner and Cultural Dance show…it was absolutely fascinating! ☺. We also enjoyed some much-needed relaxation at the Polynesian Thermal Pools. Lovely! Overall a great weekend!

Well, the weather is getting more and more summery…. I’m off to enjoy some of it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment