Thursday, November 19, 2009

Living The Dream

I’m quite busy at the moment, so I will keep this post somewhat short. The week is winding down fast. Our class worked really hard this week on our newspaper, math lessons, athletics, and music practice. Tomorrow we have what is called a “Koro-Nikau Athletics Day Out.” What that means is both the Nikau and Koromiko (all students ages 7-11) teams, students and teachers alike, will cast aside all lessons and plans for the day and hit the fields and courts for Track and Field activities. I will supposedly be running the Sevens Sticks Game, which I have never heard of or done before. I got a run through of it today but am basically going to be winging it with the students tomorrow! Other activities the students will participate in include: Sprints, Shot Put, Discus, Relays, Obstacle Courses, High Jump, and Long Jump. It is really exciting to me that the school embraces such an enriching and educational opportunity like this for its students. Hats, sun-block, and water bottles are necessary for the day… shoes, however, are optional as always. ☺

It's odd to wake up every morning and think, "Oh yeah, I'm in New Zealand." At times it feels so normal, and other times I cannot beleive it. It feels like a dream. Like this sort of thing is an unreal occurence that I will just wake up from and think it happened in a faraway place long long ago. But it is real, and it is now. Being in New Zealand right now and doing what I truly love to do is an absolute dream come true for me. I cannot think of a better way to enhance my own teaching skills and styles and also get to know a whole new culture and country at the same time. I know that my memories from this trip will be some of the most important and fun memories that I carry with me for the rest of my life. For now I am living and loving every moment...because eventually and all too soon, every good dream has to come to an end.

This weekend, Laura and I are flying out to Wellington for 2 days. Wellington is New Zealand’s capital and it known for it’s wind, rain, and whimsical, lively vibe. It is located on the bottom tip of the North Island and is a short, 1-hour flight from Auckland. I am excited! We are flying in early Saturday morning and returning Sunday evening after staying in a youth hostel Saturday night. I’ll update as to how our travels went in my next post.

So long for now! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment